Which documents do I need to have to get a new Social Security card?

The documents you need to prove your citizenship, age, and identity will be required whether you apply online, in person, or by mail.

Your birth certificate or US passport can prove your citizenship.

Only if you haven't already established citizenship with the Social Security Administration are you required to provide this documentation.

In the absence of a birth certificate, the Social Security Administration 

May accept a religious record, a US hospital record, or a US passport as proof of age.

Your US driver's license, passport, or state-issued non-driver ID card can be used as forms of identification.

In the absence of any of these documents, the Social Security Administration may accept one of the following:

2. School identification card

3. Health insurance card (but not a Medicare card)

4. US military ID card

1. Employee identification card

What you need to do to request a new Social Security card without making any changes

Especially if you don't live near a Social Security office, you can request a new card online.

To get started, you must create a My Social Security account. 

At the top of the page, you should see a link that says Replace your Social Security Card.

Once you click the link, you'll be asked a series of questions to determine if you're eligible. 

Prior to submitting your request, you will need to verify your identity by answering several other questions.

The following people aren't eligible to request a card online:

1. Alaskans, New Hampshireers, Oklahomans, or West Virginians.

2. Changes to a card, such as a name change.

3. An American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, or US Virgin Island driver's license or ID card.

Find a local office where you can schedule an appointment to request a new card in person. 

Swipe Up to Continue Stories

Swipe Up