What is the difference between a Social Security Number and an Individual Taxpayer Number?

Depending on your residency status, the federal government has your number 

if you live or work in the United States. In order to work or live in the U.S., you'll need either

if you live or work in the United States. In order to work or live in the U.S., you'll need either

These two numbers are not the same. Neither number should be used simultaneously, since they serve different purposes.

All Americans and noncitizens authorized to work in the United States receive a Social Security number

from the Social Security Administration (SSA). As a kind of national identification number, 

it can be used to apply for jobs, bank accounts, loans, and other services. Alternatively, the Internal Revenue Service 

issues Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers. Taxpayers who do not have a Social Security number, but who are required to have one, are issued ITINs by the IRS.

Social Security Number

SSNs are issued by the Social Security Administration to U.S. citizens and authorized noncitizen residents. 

From students on F1 visas to Green Card holders, authorized residents include both Americans born 

in the country and international residents. Work, collecting Social Security benefits, and 

Obtaining other social services require a Social Security number. Citizens of the U.S. 

Are issued one, but noncitizens authorized to work in the U.S. are not eligible.

SSA requires at least two documents to prove your age, identity and U.S. citizenship or current lawful, 

Work-authorized immigration status when you apply for a Social Security card. You must prove that you have

A valid non-work reason if you are not a U.S. citizen and do not have Department of Homeland 

Security work authorization. You must apply in person if you are 12 or older and have never received a Social Security number.

Swipe Up to Read More Stories

Swipe Up